Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kaypoh.

Kaypoh;
A Singaporean slang used to describe a busybody or a nosy parker.
Extracted from www.talkingcock.com, The Coxford Singlish Dictionary

So that's a Kaypoh? As far as I've known, In Singapore, being observant, or even alert to your surroundings counts as being a Kaypoh. Its also not right if you want to clarify things. Being curious is being a Kaypoh. 

I simply just do not understand these Singaporeans. I'm not ashamed of them, but, do they have any sense of shame for themselves? To the extent for them to use such sentence enhancers like "Lah", "Lor", "Ha?", "Hor", "Meh" and "Leh" in full view of the public. I'm not trying to say that I despise all these people or I'm trying to be British or American. Even I use those words, but, when I use it, I make sure its not said in public where everyone will know. The reason I'm posting this up is just, I'm appalled at a "Wendy Chong", one of Jack Neo's Mistresses. When asked why did she do what she did, She replied,

 "Because I was stupid lah, that's why I did it lor." 

Horrible.

Singaporeans being Singaporeans have their own culture, but I don't think its right that we over use these words right? Its also because of my curiosity, I was called a Kaypoh, which is just the other reason that I'm posting this. I guess, to do something right, we have to know its that we are doing it right, and to know that we are doing it right, we have to understand why we're doing it right. Isn't that true?

I don't know, maybe its just me and my Kaypoh personality that got me to all this. So, curiosity, observance and alertness determines if one is a Kaypoh right?

So, are you a Kaypoh?

No comments:

Post a Comment